/bɜl / (say berl)

1. a small knot or lump in wool, thread, or cloth.
2. Also, tree burl. a dome-shaped, wart-like growth on the trunk of a tree, around 60 cm across and protruding by 30 cm or more, which can be sliced to make burlwood veneer, or shaped or turned into bowls, etc.
verb (t)
3. to remove burls from (cloth) in finishing.
{Middle English burle, from Old French bourle, from Late Latin burra flock of wool}
burled, adjective
/bɜl / (say berl)

verb (i)
1. Colloquial to move quickly: *Trucks nudged for space at the gutters or burled along the reddish roads –coralie rees, 1953.
verb (t)
2. Colloquial to cause (a coin, etc.) to spin.
3. Colloquial to taunt and jeer at: to burl the teacher.
4. US Timber Industry to cause a floating log to rotate rapidly by treading on it continuously.
phrase Colloquial
5. give it a burl, to make an attempt: *You'll always be pissin' into the wind, but that don't mean it isn't worth givin' it a burl. –george johnston, 1964.
6. have a burl, to make a wager, as in two-up.
Also, birl. {northern British dialect birl to spin}

Australian English dictionary. 2014.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • burl — [bʉrl] n. [ME burle < OFr bourle, flocks or ends of threads < VL * burrula, small flock of wool < LL burra, wool] 1. a knot in wool, thread, yarn, etc. that gives a nubby appearance to cloth 2. a kind of knot on some tree trunks or woody …   English World dictionary

  • burl´er — burl «burl», noun, verb. –n. 1. a small knot or lump in wool or cloth. 2. a) a large knot or excrescence in certain woods. The most highly prized burls include redwood, myrtle, walnut, cherry, ash, and maple. b) a veneer made with this wood. –v.t …   Useful english dictionary

  • Burl — (b[^u]rl), v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Burled} (b[^u]rld); p. pr. & vb. n. {Burling}.] [OE. burle stuffing, or a knot in cloth; cf. F. bourlet, bourrelet, OF. bourel, a wreath or a roll of cloth, linen, or leather, stuffed with flocks, etc., dim. of… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Burl — Burl, n. 1. A knot or lump in thread or cloth. [1913 Webster] 2. An overgrown knot, or an excrescence, on a tree; also, veneer made from such excrescences. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • burl — burl·er; burl; …   English syllables

  • burl — small knot in wool or cloth, mid 15c., from O.Fr. bourle tuft of wool, which perhaps is related to the root of BUR (Cf. bur), or from V.L. *burrula small flock of wool, from L.L. burra wool …   Etymology dictionary

  • Burl — A small knot or lump in thread or cloth …   Dictionary of the English textile terms

  • burl — ► NOUN 1) a lump in wool or cloth. 2) N. Amer. a rounded knotty growth on a tree. ORIGIN Old French bourle tuft of wool , from Latin burra wool …   English terms dictionary

  • Burl — A burl (British bur or burr) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds. Burls are the… …   Wikipedia

  • burl — give it a burl Give it a try, make an attempt. Burl is one of almost 200 words that Australian English borrowed from British dialects. It is a Scots word for a spin or whirl , and in Australia we have varied the standard English give it a whirl… …   Australian idioms

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.